Monday, March 30, 2009

Short Story Length

In reading your drafts this weekend, I realized that 3-4 double-spaced pages is not nearly enough length to adequately allow for enough detail in your stories. While I'm not going to require that you write more than the length I already gave you, many of you have asked if your stories can be longer. Because short stories (and novels) are generally single-spaced (while essays are in most cases double-spaced), you are invited to write 3-4 SINGLE-SPACED pages. Regardless of what you choose to do, when we print our zine the stories will be single-spaced. I apologize for not realizing this when I gave you the instructions, but I do want to give you accurate information about the general differences in formatting between short stories (which you are writing) and essays (which you are not), along with giving you enough space to write a narrative where something can actually happen and be resolved. So, again, you are certainly encouraged to single-space your stories, but you are not required to.

No comments:

Post a Comment